2013/05/20

The Least Compelling Thing I Can Write


            I may have broken upon a unifying theory of why I am the way I am. I have an all-encompassing aversion to compulsion. To start I will explain how I define compel. To compel means to use force to change the actions of another. Force is the most important word in that definition, and is what separates compulsion from related concepts like influence or persuasion. I’m using force to mean the application of strength or power (that’s the last definition I will give because I want to avoid a Russian Nesting Doll situation). Just explaining the words isn’t going to convey my meaning here, so I will try to do that now.

Russian Nesting Dolls
I get uncomfortable with words that can only be explained in relation to other words

            My aversion to compulsion means that I become uncomfortable when my actions are not self-determined, or when I interfere with the self-determined actions of others. If you’re thinking that this describes almost everything ever you’re correct, and that is why I believe that this has a major influence on almost everything I do, believe, or feel. If effects the way I work, write, drive, eat, poop, and think, not to mention the massive repercussions in all social interactions. I take a very passive role in all my relationships and can't remember a single occurrence of initiating a change in relationship status (such as changing from acquaintance to friend). I’ve never been a member of any unified groups, either as a leader or member, since such unification would almost certainly be compulsive in one way or another. This has got to be the major cause of why my romantic history has such paucity, since getting someone to like you is a compelling act (my poor ability to recognize any naturally occurring affection in others completes the package). The most positive thing about all this is that all my friends tend to be interesting individuals who have value far beyond the fact that they listen to the same music as me.
            To see the influences on my thinking I just have to look back through old blog posts. Anti-compulsion colors my thoughts in most of my more philosophical posts such as the ones on feminism and killing (my thoughts on tallness were actually pretty forceful, but I may have gotten a little carried away on that one). My love of the Ubermensch can be reduced to interpreting the Ubermensch as a person who is beyond compulsion, and my take on philosophical zombies were just people who are lost in compulsion. I already linked my history with women posts which are full of evidence. My ego post is essential just a nascent form of this one. I now see my desire to have no needs as perceiving needs as a compulsive force and railing against them. I even mentioned disliking having an influence on the actions of others in there, but just didn’t notice how it could be applied to everything else I have going on (another thing that I could change in that post is that I now describe my sexual orientation as being asexual, hetero-curious, and bi-envious, to make it ever more absurd). I even think that the writing style itself is demonstrative, with the framing of my content as personal ideas and opinions rather than facts that might carry more force. I’m sure this idea will come up in future posts as well, and someday I may be exploring the as yet unknown source of this dislike of compulsion, so this self-reference will probably continue.

Self Reference Shot
Past actions seem like legitimate evidence for introspection

            Well this has been another stepping stone on my journey of introspection, and writing like this is the best way I know for cementing my ideas. Who needs psychoanalysis when you have a blog! If anyone actually read this far I must admit that I’m surprised you would spend this much time looking at my boring self analysis but thanks, and also hi mom.

1 comment: