2013/05/06

Jurassic Park: That’s, that’s chaos theory


                To talk about Ian Malcolm, first I’m going to have to talk about Jeff Goldblum. I am a really, REALLY big Jeff Goldblum Fan. Jeff makes quirky intellectuals funny and sexy. If you don’t think he’s sexy then take a look at these.
 
Sexy Goldblum 1
He has a strut like a man-panther

Sexy Goldblum 2
Is it hot in there or is it just Jeff?

He is just bursting with charisma. Doubters should know that he married Geena Davis (who he played the sexy smart-guy opposite off a multiple times), and he dated Laura Dern after this movie. This proves that the water drops on the hand trick is the greatest pick-up move in the history of science (tragically, if it were repeated by anyone but Jeff Goldblum it would only be a sad imitation). His line delivery is the greatest thing since William Shatner and we have the same birthday, which is neat. Now I am going to try to look past all the Goldblum (oh so much Goldblum), and give an unbiased appraisal of the character Ian Malcolm.
                First, the things I like about Ian Malcolm. He’s a loose cannon, and I like loose cannons. Specifically, he is a loose cannon mathematician (chaotician), which is the second greatest kind of loose cannon you can be (theoretical physicist being the greatest). He is also not afraid to apply his math theories to everything, and then explain them in detail, and people actually listen. This seems to be due to sheer force of personality (and maybe sexiness).  Whenever I try to explain the temperature-volume-pressure relationship of gasses, or talk about Schrodinger's Cat my listeners eyes just glaze over. Not so for Ian Malcolm. He also has impressive fortitude, both mental and physical. He can tourniquet and splint (with his belt and bamboo from the destroyed bathroom) his own leg after being attached by a tyrannosaur, and can then quip about his situation at the first opportunity (“Remind me to thank John for a lovely weekend”). On top of all that, he can read a schematic while high on morphine, which is impressive.
               
Everybody's Scared
He's fairly alarmed her

                Now, for the things that I don’t like about Ian Malcolm. The most minor is his cavalier attitude towards divorce, especially ones involving children. Loose cannons aren’t exactly known for having stable marriages, but from how he describes it, he sounds like he doesn’t even really care. I might add his flirting with Sattler in front of Grant to my dislikes, but Sattler never did anything to discourage him (because she didn’t realize what he was doing, not because she's a tease), so he can’t really be blamed too much. Next is flare scene. Malcolm’s actions in this situation seem to me like the unsolicited aide of someone who is under qualified that ends up making things worse, and I really dislike that sort of behavior. The look in his eyes as he lights the flare just tells the story of desired heroics. Sure he was only trying to help, but sometimes you just need to leave things to the experts. Speaking of experts, I don’t really agree with Malcolm’s interpretations of Chaos Theory either. When he states that control over nature isn’t possible and that life will break down barriers I don’t buy his analysis. Order can be brought to any chaotic system with the expenditure of enough energy. Properly maintained electric fences will keep a seven ton T-rex in its pen. The failure was caused by one man, which I don’t think qualifies as chaos, and the fact that the dinosaurs all instantly broke out upon the loss of power seems a bit far-fetched to me (the raptors being the exception since their intelligent attempts to escape had already been mentioned). Life evolving and breaking free is something that can and does happen, but evolution works on a near geologic timescale. Life may break free, but not over a weekend. Finally, the character trait that I dislike most about Ian Malcolm is the fact that he is against technological progress. His views are summed up in the quote “What you call discovery, I call the rape of the natural world.” This is a statement that I can absolutely not support. I prefer Hammond’s “Creation is an act of sheer will” which seemed to be played as a negative statement in the film's context. Looking at it, this whole movie seems to have an anti-progress tilt, and that is probably the only thing that I don’t like about it.

Ian and the Flare
Quit trying to be as cool as Dr. Grant
                In spite of all those things, I still have fond feeling for Ian Malcolm. I attribute this to the charisma of Jeff Goldblum, and if this role had been played by anyone else I don’t think I would feel the same way. He has his flaw though, so unlike most people I know, Malcolm is not my favorite character. I will give you one guess who is.

Hammond may hate you but I think you're alright

No comments:

Post a Comment