2012/10/06

Top Ten (Eleven) Novels

1. Cryptonomicon by Neil Stephenson
A book that truly makes nerds into heroes. From hackers to cryptographists, the characters in this novel kick asses, but do it using their heads.

2. Ubik by Philip K. Dick
My favorite PKD book, and worth reading just for the clothing descriptions. Doesn't disappoint with a great ambiguous ending.

3. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
The funniest book I have ever read. The universe created in this series is the best I've seen.

4. Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein
The space marine book in my opinion. All the Robert Heinlein goodness without the free love stuff that generally weirds me out. Not very similar to the movie.

5. Ilium by Dan Simmons
Combines the Iliad with science fiction, and a little Shakespeare for flavoring. This and its sequel Olympos are great epic sci-fi.

6. Three Kingdoms by Luo Guanzhong
Romanticized history about the Three Kingdoms Period in China. A massive story about warfare, tactics, and politics. I learned about it from a video game.

7. Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
A book about human stupidity that only Vonnegut could write. I don't think anybody writes irony as well as him.

8. Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
More science than the movie and all the plot stuff that only a book can contain. A little lacking in the Jeff Goldblum department though.

9. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
A book about children so probably best read at a younger age, but still philosophical enough for any age. A very different perspective and war and alien cultures.

10. Fools Die by Mario Puzo
All the great Vegas, Hollywood, and New York greed and corruption that Mario Puzo is know for, but with an author as the main character instead of a gangster.

11. Redwall by Brian Jacques
The Redwall series was one of my favorites as a child. Something I would definitely want to read to my kids. I still think animals with British accents are great.



No comments:

Post a Comment