2013/07/08

Top Ten (Eighteen) Dinosaur Comics

            Dinosaur Comics are probably my favorite thing on the internet. Simply put, it is a web comic featuring dinosaurs in which the same clip art images are used in each comic with different dialog written in. This basic formula has created some of the funniest, most creative, and most thought provoking things that I have ever read. I’ve been reading for over five years now, and the site has also linked me to a large fraction of the other sites I frequent on the internet, so it has had a huge impact on the culture I have absorbed over the last few years. Here are some of my favorites out of the 2,451 comics that exist as of my posting.

1.  #1762 
This is just so impressive to me. To take the phrase “embrace terror” and turn it into something this stupendous is the peak of creativity. I also like the joke about semicolon use.

2.  #1979 
When I first read this I didn’t know where it was going but I knew I was intrigued. Then after reaching the end the realization of how it fit perfectly with hide and go seek blew my mind.

3.  #15 
I can’t explain why I find this so hilarious, but I just do.

4.  #431
The disgusting stories that they tell at the end are the best. I’m not even sure how a disease can be salacious, I just know I don’t what to catch it.

5.  #2150 
Turning the lyrics of an 80’s pop song into a Lovecraft-esque horror story gets me on multiple levels. This comic also feature some of T-rex amusingly named fiction characters. See also Angola Maldives and Antonio Tony.

6.  #2024 
This sort of joke where you describe something in a really highbrow manner and then end with a lowbrow punch line is irresistible to me. I try this style of joke a lot myself but never pull it off nearly as well as this.

7.  #888 
The raccoon and cephalopod neighbors are some of the many recurring characters that only appear off panel. Other such characters include God, the Devil, a tiny elephant that is a product of island dwarfism, a bug on T-rex’s nose, and Shakespeare. The silent panel two is also something that I enjoy.

8.  #2160
Coquettishly is a great adjective. This is another example of mixing highbrow and lowbrow humor.

9.  #2197 
This is actually a rewrite of the hypochondria comic that appeared before it, but adding wizards makes everything better.

10.  #501 
I always enjoy T-rex’s adventure in expression exploration, and adding an adjective to all self-identified nouns is something that I could really get behind.

11.  #1305
I now try to say totally intentional when I hurt myself. I also sometimes feel regrets that conversations didn’t come to their ideal conclusion.

12.  #2079 
The way that thon is used with reckless abandon to the detriment of the English language is a joy to behold. Gender-neutral pronouns are also pretty great. T-rex later decides that “bitches” is the best gender-neutral pronoun, but that’s another comic.

13.  #727 
You should never regret spill something on an architect. They are all terrible people. This comic also feature one of the rare swears that occur in the comic.

14.  #110 
He is so wise in many subjects while so naive in others. Failing to understand the social consequences of your actions is a thing that I can relate to.

15.  #139 
Amnesia is something that I have always thought would be cool. Short term memory loss would also be great (You would have no responsibilities for your actions).

16.  #1945 
Another As She Is Played made it into the list. I enjoy this in spite of the fact that I refuse to play Scrabble because I can’t handle the rejection.

17.  #1205 
Characters interacting with the narrator are great, especially when it’s in an antagonizing manner.

18.  #1127 
Saying ”contrast and compare” is super kulturny (this is my new replacement for classy, just FYI), and Yes, Virginia, There Is A Friggin’ Santa Clause is the best movie title ever.


Looking at my selections, I am willing to conclude that what I enjoy most is this comic’s ability to turn the simple into the sublime, and the jokes base on intellectual concepts and creative uses of the English language. Also the dinosaurs. I've reaped boundless enjoyment from this comic and will likely continue to do so into the future, and I hope that these examples might inspire others to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment