2012/06/19

Sarcasm Quotes


A major problem with writing is a difficulty in effectively conveying sarcasm in text form. Misunderstood sarcasm is quit unfortunate, as it generally entails the opposite meaning as intended being taken from your words. That can cause a lot of problems.
Many people have suggested that a sarcasm font should be chosen, and anything written in said font will be identifiable as sarcastic. I don’t think this is the best solution. Fonts are not the easiest thing to recognize at a glance, and are not easy to display in a variety of programs and medias. My alternative solution to this problem is the subtle and elegant Sarcasm Quote. Behold
SHello worldS
There you have it. Superscript S’s are all you need to conveniently express facetiousness via written language.  A simple ctrl + shift + + in Microsoft Word, or <sup>S</sup> in HTML, and you have bought yourself a one way ticket to sarcasm town. Never again should an innocently ironic comment be taken literally. Now as far as I know I am the first person to submit this idea. My Google search of “sarcasm quotes” only brought up actual quotes on the topic of sarcasm or in a sarcastic manor.
Possibly the best part of this idea is that it is not just limited to sarcasm. I also advocate Russian Accent Quotes (RI must break youR), Arnold and/or Austrian Accent Quotes (AGet to the chopperA), and any other accent you can assign a letter to. This solves the problem of writing in an accent, without running the risk of confusing your reader and your spell check. I am yet to think of a use for superscripted numbers as quotes, but I am sure something can be thought of eventually.
Now if you’re thinking that you do all of your sarcastic writing in text messages, and your phone can’t write superscript, I have a solution for you as well. My sarcastic text messages are done as follows. “Oh, that smells like a great time” Cob said sarcastically. I see three strengths to this solution; it add some literary flare to your message, you get to refer to yourself in the third person, and it could probably be considered second degree sarcasm (better than normal sarcasm) since it is being somewhat ironic about its own sarcastic nature. If you are put off by this solution since in involves extra typing, I’m not really that worried. If you can’t be bothered to write out the word “be” in its entirety, then I doubt you are the type of person demands precision of tone in their writing.   

This post has been Revisited.

1 comment: